Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Going Home

Yup! My highly anticipated return to PJ is almost here! After the numerous delays and all the shit that I had to put up with over here, I finally get to go back! What kind of changes can you expect of me? The answer is, not much. Occasionally I might throw in some British slang into my dialogue despite my accent being 100% Malaysian. Did you know that when I speak with the locals here, my accent changes? It's really a subconscious thing, I don't do it deliberately. And it's not just my accent, but my choice of words as well!

Upon greeting an acquantance:
KW in KL: Eh, how are you ah?
KW in UK: You alright?

When thanking someone:
KW in KL: Thank you ah.
KW in UK: Cheers, mate!

NB: Actually, I only say "mate" when I'm talking to guys. As for girls... I usually just say thanks. Takkan I say sometihng like "cheers, lassie!". Makes me sound as flirty as Johnny Depp in Pirates.

When praising someone:
KW in KL: Wah liao, xxx, you damn keng.
KW in UK: xxx, you're such a legend!

While swearing:
KW in KL: you f***** c**b** ah!
KW in UK: you bloody wanker!

When asking someone out for a drink:
KW in KL: Eh wanna go yumcha mou?
KW in UK: Wanna go grab a pint?

On the way to lecture, dips into pocket only to realise that I've forgotten something:
KW in KL: Oh, shit!
KW in UK: Oh, shit!
(ok.... no difference there)

When someone gives you a beauty of a pass while playing football:
KW in KL: Nice lah!
KW in UK: Ball! (ask me when you see me to find out how it sounds like)

After stomach ache:
KW in KL: Wah liao, just now I lao sai like no tomorrow.
KW in UK: I've taken a colossal shit. It was MASSIVE.

OK there are many other instances that I can't recall at the moment. I'm sure I'll bring them up during our yumcha sessions when I get back to PJ. CYA GUYS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home